myMPX
Advertisement

Go Back MyMPx.org > MyMPx.org Forum > General Discussion

player will play, but the screen is black
Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

Question player will play, but the screen is black

It's a 2.8" 4GB touch/camera/FM/MP3 player, in an iPhone knock-off housing (even the model/brand info printed on the back is a match for the iPhone... But this is one of the cheap China knock-offs) I dont know what chip/firmware, as I can no longer see the display to check there, and I have not taken it apart...

The splash screen displays nice and brightly and says Welcome, for about 4 seconds, then it goes black/blank.

If I wait a few more seconds, and touch where the "Music" icon belongs, it will play music. I remember the music screen well enough, I can fumble around enough to skip songs, change volume, start/stop, etc.

So, the player is not dead.

My daughter (it's her player...) was experimenting with the settings, and turned the brightness all the way down.

I've tried the reset button, and that just seems to reboot the OS without re-storing factory settings/memory.

I'm hoping that the display will come back if I can increase the brightness setting, or restore the factory originall settings/memory.

Any advice/suggestions?

Keith
Old 8th Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

You should shine a bright light at the screen and see if you can get to the settings to turn the brightness up again. The brightness is probably as low as possible, but the LCD should still be on. If you remember how to get to the settings it will make it easier.

It is also possible, i think, that there is a setting to turn the LCD off. If this theory is correct, its gonna be a colossal pain to fix.

This seems like its purely a software problem, since the screen shows on startup, the LCD should be fine. Taking it apart will probably do no good.

You could also plug it into a computer and look for any system files. Back them up, then delete them to try to reset all settings.

good luck

Last edited by van0014; 8th Apr 2012 at 9:17 pm.
Old 9th Apr 2012, 6:44 am

A display setting that turns the LCD "off"does sound like what's happening...

No joy on seeing any display when I shine a bright light at it... Just seeing the reflection of the light source. I cant even see the splash screen if I hold it under a bright light while its turning on.

I dont remember how to navigate to the settings menu, or the display settings, or how that screen looks if I could get there.

When I connect the player as a flash drive, there is an "NES" folder that more or less looks like it may the the operating system files... But they are all named in chinese, and I havent been able to make sense of any of them. Most of those files end with .nes

The only reason I may open it up, would be to identify the chip, so I would know what device driver to try to download to try to connect this to a computer in "upgrade" mode, and what flash software I should try to find to load on here.

If I hold the "home" button down, plug in the USB cable to a computer, and then release the "HOME" button after the splash screen comes up, I think the player is starting in "upgrade" mode, because the "generic flash drive" device driver does not load... My VistaHome edition OS does not recognize what device is hooked up. So I dont have a device driver that recognizes this player in "upgrade" mode yet.

I suppose I may connecting it as a flash drive, backing up everything that shows under the "NES" folder, and then deleting the NES folder stuff, just to see what happens... I guess "shooting in the dark" is about all you can do with a black screen...
Old 9th Apr 2012, 11:15 pm

Did it come with one of those mini cd's? with software or anything?

If deleting that NES folder doesn't work, you will need to find out what type of player you have. If it is RockchiP, which is my best guess, you may be able to restore the firmware.

Do you feel comfortable disassembling the player? Once there apart there is a microchip that says what the device is, for example

Click the image to open in full size.

(im obsessed with RockchiP)

If you decide to take it apart, do it nice and slowly. Do not rush this process. If it does not come apart easily, you have missed a screw.

With these chinese products they are masters of hiding screws in horrible places, such as under a sticker that looks good; One you do not want to wreck. But they make you in order to take it apart.

Keep in mind that taking it apart has only one purpose, to find out the model number. I am only suggesting taking it apart because its something i cannot resist doing. IPhone 3G? dead! I took mine apart! MUHAHAHAHAHA! am i mad or what?
Old 10th Apr 2012, 10:16 am

No CD. I tried and tried to get the eBay seller to send me on or put one somewhere I could download, but they claimed they dont have any, and that their supplier said they dont have any and dont carry the same player anymore...

I probably will take it apart to get the chip info... The firmware OS on here works very nicely (except for the brightness setting...), but it would be nice to have an English oriented OS and filesystem someday, instead of the chinese one...
Old 11th Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

Have you heard of RockBox? Rockbox 3.11 Download
This program gives you an alternate interface.
Its like linux for your MP3 player
I hope your player is on the supported players list
TargetStatus < Main < Wiki
Old 17th Apr 2012, 4:23 am

I also facing the same problem is there any solution of this problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th Aug 2013, 3:29 am

Keep it clean from any specific shop..
There is no other option.. Rockbox 3.11 have no solution according to me, or upto my experience..
Old 12th Oct 2014, 1:33 am

I just heard this from you, but didn't heard before.
I think this is error in display..

Sponsored Links