myMPX
Advertisement

AMV Conversion Help
Post New Thread

Old 12th Feb 2007, 5:04 am

Default AMV Conversion Help

I was given an MP4 player for xmas. It's does not play MP4 but they have to be converted to AMV.
I have tried using the software supplied and also on this site, on 3 different laptops but they all come up with error. All the software require directx 9C and windows media 9 or above, which I have.
The software downloads but when I try to add files they only appear when I switch to all files. I select these and then try and convert. However the process starts but only lasts a few seconds and then comes up with error.
I was wondering if there is something else I have to do?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12th Feb 2007, 5:16 am
MPx Junkie

Are you saying you're trying to convert MP4s to AMV format?

If you are, then perhaps the reason AMV converter is crashing is because it is unable to make that conversion. I've never tried converting MP4 to AMV before, but maybe if you find another utility that can convert MP4 to say... .avi or .mpg, then run that through AMV converter that should solve your problem. I use WinAVI Converter or Allok Video Converter for any neccessary alterations to video format. Unfortunately they are both commercial software packages, but well worth the money. There are some freeware ones out there
Old 12th Feb 2007, 5:20 am

Thanks

Will try one of them
Old 12th Feb 2007, 5:50 am
MPx Junkie

Ok, well i've just converted a 5 minute .WMV clip to .MP4, then back to .MPG and then lastly to .AMV with AMV Converter and uploaded it to my player and it plays beautifully. I used a completely free utility called Audio/Video To Exe v1.4
It converts audio/video files into other audio/video formats or an executable. I'm keeping this one! :wink:

Just google it

Cheers
Old 12th Feb 2007, 5:33 pm

Default Re: AMV Conversion Help

That sounds like way too many steps. Each time you re-encode to a new format, you lose quality. There should be a wmv to avi converter out there somewhere, then you cut down the re-encodings to two: wmv-to-avi, then avi-to-amv.

OT: Why wmv? I usually try to avoid it where possible, one of the reasons being this problem of converting to other formats.
<insert>
If perhaps you are using windows movie maker to capture video from a video camera, I'd recommend looking at a dv-avi codec, there's a free panasonic one out there that works with WMM, better quality (but bigger files), gives a much better starting point for any further editing you want to do. Best to start with a large high-quality capture and compress it as a final step, rather than compress it at the start and have it degrade on every step of editing.
</rant>
Old 12th Feb 2007, 7:22 pm
MPx Junkie

Default Re: AMV Conversion Help

Actually... It's not 'that many steps'
You've misunderstood me.

This application allows you to convert from almost any file format to any other format.. i was simply testing it out to see how many times, and how many formats i could use on a single file. Before at least.. it started to lose quality.. when testing new software you have to push it somewhat.

So to clarify.. Audio/Video To Exe v1.4 - converts audio/video files into other audio/video formats or an executable.

The steps are, 1. Choose your file, 2. Select your output file name,
3. Choose your "Target File Format" and click 'Convert'.
Then all you have to do is run your newly converted file through AMV Converter.

I hope that makes more sense

:roll:

Sponsored Links