myMPX
Advertisement

Go Back MyMPx.org > MyMPx.org Forum > Video related

Craig brand MP4 player froze on video player
Post New Thread

Old 30th Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

Default Craig brand MP4 player froze on video player

last night i bought a Craig Touchscreen Media Player for about $30.00 USD. it's a really nice little unit and i was hoping to get some enjoyment out of it while at the Gym.

a few minutes into my first workout however, the player froze & remained frozen until the battery completely drained. the unit became totally unresponsive. i couldn't shut it off, no matter how long i held the power switch for, and when i tried to connect it to my PC at home, windows was not able to recognize the device (unrecognized USB device error)

the player is supposed to play music, display photos & play videos, however with both .AVI & .MP4 media, the player throws back an "Unrecognized Format Error,"

today the unit is taking a charge and seems to be responding just fine, however before my workout last night it was working fine as well. it is a RockChip based device & i am wondering if upgrading the firmware will improve the stability & functionality (video playback) of this unit, or if i should just take it back. i really don't want to take it back unless i can't get it to stabilize & playback video. i'm hoping someone here can help me out.

CRAIG: model no.: CMP628E
2GB MP4 Player

Manufactured: May 2010
Product name: RK27SDK, v2.2

as extracted from ChipGenius:

Chip Vendor: RockChip
Chip Part-Number: RK2608

the following formats do not work for me on this device:
RMVB, AVI, ASF

please help.

Click the image to open in full size.

somewhat solved. it seems to play .3GP files. :\

Last edited by osmorphyus; 30th Apr 2011 at 10:23 pm.
Old 1st May 2011, 12:13 am

video playback is kind of funny on this, however. some 3GP's play all the way (bedroom intruder for example), and others cut off abruptly a few seconds before the end. even more puzzling, is large files, 2 hour long videos converted over to 3GP will not play at all.

it's hard to find specifications on what the maximum & minimum stats for videos is on this.

if this forum isn't completely ghost-town'd, i will appreciate any help or information with this. if i should return it to the store and buy a "real" media player, please chime in.
Old 1st May 2011, 3:33 pm

dead forums are dead.
Old 2nd May 2011, 1:39 am
Administrator
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmorphyus View Post
dead forums are dead.
Not entirely, it's just very difficult to help or fix dead players due to the vast variety of varying firmware and chipsets available. Trying to find a compatible firmware for your player is very difficult.

Old 2nd May 2011, 1:52 am
Administrator
Admin

Quote:
video playback is kind of funny on this, however. some 3GP's play all the way (bedroom intruder for example), and others cut off abruptly a few seconds before the end. even more puzzling, is large files, 2 hour long videos converted over to 3GP will not play at all.

it's hard to find specifications on what the maximum & minimum stats for videos is on this.

if this forum isn't completely ghost-town'd, i will appreciate any help or information with this. if i should return it to the store and buy a "real" media player, please chime in.
Hi osmorphyus,

No, the forum isn't ghost-town'd. I provide this site for free and and try to reply when I get a chance to, outside of working 40 hours a week and spending some family time. Sometimes life gets abit busy and I don't have the time to reply. I would love to say that this forum is my full time job but it's not. Members have also given up their spare time to check the forum and help with post replies when they have spare time.

Rockchip based players are very fussy in their video files and some require specific settings to play successfully on your player. What I can suggest is download the sample Rockchip video files from here --> Sample Rockchip videos with different screen sizes <-- load them onto your player and see which ones play fine on your player. Take note of it then you can post your findings here. Then we can help with suggesting the correct settings for your player.

There is also a good FREE converter made by one of the members here which you can use to convert your videos, but it's best to find out the correct video settings that play fine on your player first.

Hope that helps.

Old 7th May 2011, 6:14 pm

i appreciate the help guys.

i understand that everyone has a real-life. i guess i just thought there may have been other members or mods available thats all. no big deal. i didn't mean t sound like a jerk.

thanks for the tips, im going to look into what you said & post back when i've tried it out.
Old 7th May 2011, 6:17 pm

also, would a new firmware help?

are there "themes" i can apply to a rockchip based media player?
Sponsored Links
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

^^ Spammer.
Old 9th Jun 2011, 2:06 am
Administrator
Admin

Quote:
^^ Spammer.
I agree. Sorry to see that you got a spammer reply. I have removed that person's post reply and banned the member now.

Old 9th Jun 2011, 2:09 am
Administrator
Admin

Quote:
also, would a new firmware help?

are there "themes" i can apply to a rockchip based media player?
Humm, a newer firmware is really risky as you have a higher chance of having a 'dead' player from it rather than get any beneficial features. All you need to do is take a look at the "Dead Players" section of the forum to see what I mean.

In terms of 'theming' your player, it can be done but really depends on what version your Rockchip player is at.

Tags
cmp628e, craig, mp3, mp4, touchscreen

Sponsored Links