myMPX
Advertisement

Go Back MyMPx.org > MyMPx.org Forum > Support and How To

My Fake 4GB MP3 Player - Detailed Findings!
Post New Thread

Old 17th Sep 2006, 3:20 pm

Default Re: My Fake 4GB MP3 Player - Detailed Findings!

Here is all the info I have about my seller from PayPal:

Payment To:
Larz Inc. (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Seller's ID:
powersellerturbo
Seller's Email:
Marklarson007@aol.com

I do have one question, however. Assuming the pin outs are the same, would it not be possible to desolder the SMT chip and put a larger one in it's place? Then do the dead player type procedure to reflash a new firmware, and format the flash.

I ask because I can very easily solder/desolder this SMT chip.
Old 18th Sep 2006, 6:54 pm

Thank you for your detailed findings. You are on the money with all the details. I have purchased 6 of these players about a month ago and have only just discovered the problems with this 4gb Mp4 Player. I removed the rear cover and scratched off the little round sticker off the chip and low and behold the part number is the 2gb chip description (as per zaidon). I am currently persuing the seller for an explanation (emails are going around in circles) so I checked his items for sale and he is still selling them as 4Gb players and also 2gb Tiny MP4 players that are only 1gb. I will post more details as this issue progresses. They still operate fine as a 2gb Player though, but have a little trouble playing the frog video from this site.
Old 18th Sep 2006, 7:43 pm
Valued Member

0wned, The Actions chipset that powers these players will only support a maximum of 2GB nand flash.

If you have been ripped off with a hacked player by a seller submit a report to www.ic3.gov
Old 19th Sep 2006, 6:21 pm

Well here has what has happened since:

- The seller offered to refund my money if I sent the item back at my expense. I don't feel this is a good thing to do because I already don't trust the guy. I would take $50 refund and keep the player, I think that's plenty fair.

- I left the seller negative feedback because I see he has just listed another lot of "8 GB" players. I was hoping that other buyers would see my feedback and have at least a warning, especially considering not all people will realize they've been scammed.

- The seller made his feedback comments private!! I didn't even know you could do that...and that basically means that I left him a negative for no good help to others. He of course left me a negative...

- I filled a dispute with Paypal and I am waiting to file an ebay claim. It just makes me feel bad for other buyers/victims.

There should be a link to this thread on the home page to warn others!!

Pam
Old 25th Sep 2006, 5:55 pm

I have success I have been communication back and forth for a while now trying to keep my cool and the seller "citipower" has agreed to send me an extra MP4 player at no extra charge. The average cost for the seven players recieved is AU$85.00 have I been ripped off? I guess the moral of the story is do your research before you purchase anything! I hope others can learn from my mistake. Paul
Old 25th Sep 2006, 8:40 pm
Valued Member

race 1999,
Alas most people only find out about these things once they have bought their players or start having problems. The price you paid is about right for a 2Gb player and at least you are getting some return from the seller for your troubles.

If you have been ripped off with a hacked player by a seller submit a report to www.ic3.gov
Old 20th Oct 2006, 11:07 am

I got my 4GB :x grrrrrrrrr.... 2GB player from eBay, has this picture been edited or can I really make the screen look the same as an iPod?

Click the image to open in full size.

The listing
Sponsored Links
Old 20th Oct 2006, 2:58 pm
Valued Member

TH_Overkill, They are just mockups using iPod images, no chance of album art but you can customise most of the interface.

Old 22nd Oct 2006, 1:40 pm

I bought the same one on Ebay 4 GB, my question is how does it work, when I first got it, ther was music on it and a short music video, it played ok I deleted the music and video. I draged and droped my music files on to the player, I could see some of the files but not all of them, when I tried to play them nothing happend the instructions that came with the player are writen in pigeon English, the seller says he's going to phone me, I won't hold my breath, would one of you guys kindy tell how the f-ing thing works. regards Dan
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 2:28 pm
MPx Junkie

Dan, files placed on the player beyond the (probably your size) 2 gig border, seem to arrive on the player, but aren't really there, just indexed as.
Format the player to get the real capacity:
tadad1's method

Sponsored Links