myMPX
Advertisement

Go Back MyMPx.org > MyMPx.org Forum > Support and How To

Requesting yr kind help Ebay 1.8" Mp3 player
Post New Thread

Old 15th Jul 2010, 4:54 am

Default Requesting yr kind help Ebay 1.8" Mp3 player

Hi guys, First let me say thanks a bunch for the info I found here.
I successfully followed the instructions and reformatted my player from it's fake 16Gb start to it's real 1.9 Gb. Excellent. Oh I should say it's a bog-standard Ebay special 1.8" slim Mp3 player like so-
Click the image to open in full size.

Things I need:

1/ help with the FM radio - I only have it on one side. It's not the headphones/jack or anything. It works fine with music/movies. So, is it part of the inherent crap-ness of these or is it an issue? Perhaps someone that has one could tell me.

2/ I reformatted in FAT not FAT32 is this OK? I read afterwards people using FAT 32.

3/ I might try updating the firmware, just in case I get my radio functioning on both sides. Presently it shows exact this: 2008/09/30 9.5.54 2008/12/10 HST_SDKV91 Does anyone know where I can find a suitable upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Randolf; 15th Jul 2010 at 5:00 am.
Old 15th Jul 2010, 4:57 am

For some reason my punctuation isn't showing - sorry!
Old 16th Jul 2010, 4:17 am

The radio on one side only is driving me nuts ;( Anyone want to chime in and help??
Old 20th Jul 2010, 8:19 am

Bumpeth Awww pretty please take a look. Is this best place to ask??? Anyone out there?
Old 21st Jul 2010, 1:17 am
Administrator
Admin

Hi Randolf,

Just to try to answer your questions:

1. I haven't heard of the radio only sounding on one side of the earphones before though that's a new issue for me. Just to rule it, can you try another set of earphones just in case? Generally the earphones have the antenna as part of the cord, so perhaps that's abit dodgy? Does sound weird. I know you said you can hear fine with music from the earphones, but if you can try some different set of earphones to see what happens, that would be interseting.

2. Formatting in FAT or FAT32 depends on the chipset of the players. Older chipsets only work with FAT while the newer ones work with FAT32. Try one and the other and see what happens. You can always format it back.

3. I would highly recommend AGAINST updating the firmware on your player. You only need to see the "Dead Players" section of the forum to see what I mean. You have a higher risk of a 'dead player' if you do by flashing it with an incompatible firmware.

Hope that helps.

Old 21st Jul 2010, 3:25 pm

Hey thanks! Ok totally hear you on the firmware, I'll leave it. I was entertaining the idea in the hope that it would solve my one sided radio issue. I can confirm without a doubt that it is with the radio function only and with any headphones. Always normal stereo with any other setting. Also there doesn't appear to be be any "balance" or any other paramters I can see. Must be either hardware or firmware based? (dodgy FM module/soldering perhaps?)
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 2:31 am
Valued Member

>dodgy FM module/soldering perhaps
Yes. This is not a firmware issue. Either FMINL or FMINR from the FM chip is not properly connected to appropriate pin of CPU.
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 10:59 am

Ah cheers. I'll pop the hood on it and get busy with the jewellers loupe and multimeter. See if I can find anything.
Old 26th Jul 2010, 2:01 pm

Smile

Just to let you know... I have it running perfectly now.

Turns out there was a tiny solder glob shorting out to pins on the FM module.

Damn but they do some ugly work in there! Anyhow all good now.
Old 26th Jul 2010, 10:26 pm
Administrator
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf View Post
Just to let you know... I have it running perfectly now. Turns out there was a tiny solder glob shorting out to pins on the FM module. Damn but they do some ugly work in there! Anyhow all good now.
Thanks for letting us know that the problem has been resolved.
Can you share some PHOTOS of your handy work? It would be good to see what you've done and would be a great reference in the future for similar problems.

Sponsored Links